<$BlogRSDURL$>

21.10.04

A Unique Birthday Present 

On my 19th birthday, my younger brother gave me a present, which I believe no one has ever received on his/her birthday. I was totally astonished by this unusual present and perhaps no other present from him could be more astonishing and also pleasing to me at that time. Hmm… Can you guess what that present was? It was an application. Hahaha… isn’t it funny. How can someone present an application to his brother on his birthday! But my brother did, because like the present he is also unique. He was clever enough to realize that this application could make me happier than any other type of present that he could have offered. Because this application is not a mere page, there is a long story behind it that reminds me of many things of my school life…

When I was in class nine, our class teacher was Dulal Babu Sir. And like most of the government schoolteachers he was very lazy. He used to come to the class at least 20 minutes late and rest of the time he would spend calling the roll numbers of the students. We were much accustomed to this routine. That’s why many of us used to enter the school late.

But in a day at the middle of the year when I went to enter the class 10 minutes late, I found Dulal Sir is already in the class. “Amazing… there must be something wrong. Otherwise why would he come to the class so early!” I thought. And more amazingly he didn’t allow me to enter the class instead started to rebuke me. And then he started lecturing on punctuality. “You have come 10 minutes late. Do you know in 10 seconds time one can win an Olympic gold medal? The new headmaster told me not to let anyone enter the class if he is late so that you may have a good lesson. So get out of here. And if you want to come to the class you will have to bring permission from the headmaster.” He said in a strong voice. Oh, now I understand as the headmaster changed, so changed the age-old rules. I was still glad that I wouldn’t have to be in his class. Because passing 45 minutes listening to his family talk would not be that easy. But I couldn’t understand how the new headmaster brought this sudden change in attitude in Dulal Sir; even my pleas are coming to no use. When I was returning from the class thinking of how to pass these 30 minutes, I saw my other 8 classmates who also received the same treatment were observing me from a distant place. But when I came close to them, they began to insult me for not making it to the classroom. They laughed at me because I got scolded. Now, I got adamant. I told them that I would enter the classroom and show them all.
application
The only way in which I could enter the class was to write an application to the headmaster requesting him to grant me to enter the classroom. But getting an application signed by the headmaster is not so easy. The previous headmaster was so tough at the students that everyone used to fear him so much that we even used to change our direction if we found him coming our way. Who knows how tough this person will be. His toughness changed the rules of the school in a day. Allah knows how tough he would be towards the students when he is so tough to the teachers. Thinking all these facts I kind of feared him. But to show my friends that I’m smarter than them I went in the headmaster’s room with this application. To my great surprise I found him very simple and understanding. He told me politely never to be late again. Then he signed the application quickly and told me that I was getting late for the class. I then said to myself, “We really needed a headmaster like you.”




This sort of application was totally new to everyone. So when I went to the class and showed it to my class teacher, he didn’t have any answer to it. And to my friends… I was a brave boy. The class captain of my class, Jewel was so convinced of my heroic that he collected that application from Dulal Sir and kept it with him. It was in his possession for 2 years. And later my younger brother came to know about this application from his younger brother who happened to be the student of the same class. Learning the story behind this application, my brother collected it from Jewel and presented it to me on my birthday.
Isn’t it a brilliant present?
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Ask the Imam Online Islamic Question and Answers