<$BlogRSDURL$>

6.7.04

Our Ineffective Workers: 

A young man hired by a supermarket reported for his first day of work. The manager greeted him with a warm handshake and a smile, gave him a broom and said, “Your first job will be to sweep out the store.”
“But I’m a university graduate”, the young man replied indignantly.
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that”, said the manager. “Here, give me the broom- I’ll show you how.”
-Taken from Reader’s Digest.

This is just a joke. But our students spend all their effort to get good grades. And the parents also think that good grade is everything. As a result they are not given any household work to do. “No work, no play, just study.” This theory most of the time backfires on their children.

Few days ago I went to Mr. Neil Russell to talk about my university admission process and he was not finding my file in his computer. I then showed him how to find a file. “Press Ctrl + F. Then type Zahir*.*. and all the files with Zahir in the beginning will come.”
He thanked me and said, “I’m tired with all these Bangladeshi workers (He has 6 employees just for to assist him in consultancy and to handle computer work). I instructed them several times to put the files of Bangladeshi students in Bangladesh file. But they keep making new folders. There is only one girl who can work a bit others are of no good.”
“Why don’t you take an expert in computer instead of so many workers?” I suggested.
“Four of them are university graduates. I didn’t know that they are so weak in computer. I’m now giving them lessons on computer. And I also will have to teach them English. I can’t understand whatever they say. They are attending English classes with other IELTS students.
I’ve had enough with them. My Russian girls are far better. From next month you will see a Russian girl here.”
I didn’t argue with him because I knew that he was totally right.

There are thousands of job opportunities in Bangladesh but for the good workers only. There is a feeling in the students of our country that when you are a student your only job is to study. There is no need to work. After graduation your extraordinary academic background will bring you a good job. You won’t even have to look for a job.
For this prevailing idea, parents don’t let their children do anything.

I once took my one friend to kitchen shopping to accompany me while I buy chickens and beef; which I used to buy while returning home from the big market we had beside our college. When the chickens where slaughtered they were put in the feather cleaning machine for to clean up the feathers. We call it dressing.

My friend said, “Wow, that’s a nice machine. It cleans all the feathers so quickly and so beautifully. It’s really wonderful”.
“Hey, haven’t you seen such a thing before?” I asked surprised.
“I never went to any kitchen market.” He said. “Actually, I never had to as our caretaker takes good care of all those stuffs.”

Then I showed him other parts of the bazaar and explained different things to him. And he enjoyed it much as if he were a foreigner, came on a visit to Bangladesh.
I had a classmate at Chittagong College who used to spend all of his time on study. He had 3 home tutors. He also used to study in groups to 4 college teachers going to their houses. He never played with us because he will miss his teacher’s class.
Giving study excessive priority we are in reality heading towards a nation of ineffective workers.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Ask the Imam Online Islamic Question and Answers