<$BlogRSDURL$>

24.6.04

Buying Beef from a Butcher 

The other day I went to buy beef taking my younger brother with me. Although he is just 2 years younger to me, he never had to go to the butcher. As a result he doesn’t have much idea about the tricks that a butcher perform to fool his customer. The butcher put some bones and cow fat in my bag after he gave us the 3kg beef we wanted to buy. I said, “ Why have you given the bones? Take them back.”
Butcher: It’s for free. You won’t have to pay for it.
I: No, you just take it back. I don’t take anything for free.
Butcher: These bones are very good. Without the bones your beef will not be tasty.
I: But I told you to take it back.
My brother: Take it Bhaia. If it is not useful, mom will through it away.

I didn’t argue anymore and simply took those bones and was returning home.

I: Hey, why did you (my brother) tell me to take those bones?

MB: He was giving it for free.

I: Do you think that he will give me those bones without having any benefit from his side? Do you think America has invaded Iraq to help them for free?

MB: We saw that he gave us 3kg meat and then he gave some bones for free. What benefit can he get from that?

I: Never belief your eyes and ears. They will misguide you. Be rational and learn to reason. I bet you that he gave us exactly 3kg including those useless bones.

Then we went to a grocery shop and weighed the beef bag and it was 3kg. We then took the bones out and it was 300grams short. The butchers weigh up meat in such a way that you can never find out if they give less in quantity. And to cover up their trickery they will give you bones and fat for free. If you don’t take anything for free they are then bound to give you more meat. My younger brother had a good lesson that day and said, “I’ll never take anything for free.”

Some Tips in Buying Beef:
When you go to buy beef the following ideas will help you to buy the best type of beef both in quality and in quantity.
1. Feel the warmth of the meat by touching it. If it is cold you should understand that the cow might have been slaughtered a day ago and hence the meat is not fresh.
2. See the upper side of the cow-thigh if there is cow skin attached to that. Because usually if the skin is not attached, it is most likely to be a buffalo.
3. See the colour of the meat. If it is reddish, it’s a buffalo.
4. When the butcher lifts the scale see below the scale if any fat is attached or not.
5. Make the butcher lift the scale for a while.
6. Don’t let him cut the meat into pieces.
7. The butcher keeps a big wooden box to keep money. They cut the bones behind that box and mix other bones when you are not observing. Don’t let him do that.
8. And most importantly don’t let him give you anything for free.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Ask the Imam Online Islamic Question and Answers